Beginnings


Just arrived back in Seattle. Great time in Boise, Idaho for the past 5 weeks. Visiting unstablemonkeys in Idaho City, family and friends in Boise, Eagle, and Meridian. Also caught up with a couple of my favorite grown up kids, Terry and Dena, now both residing in the Eastern U.S. but home for the holidays.

Did some speaking (in the Church I was on staff at for 10 years Central Assembly) at a Christmas Banquet and for the Sunday morning service.

It was snowy, windy, rainy, freezing, sunny, in short - everything you could expect in Southwest Idaho for December!

I really enjoyed the many Christmas lights and decorations for the holidays. This year seemed to be the year of giant inflatable. Almost every yard had one (as opposed to the year of the lighted icicles, the year of the flashing ORBS, etc). The movie "Christmas Vacation" is not just an exaggeration in America. I helped decorate three homes for Christmas - from the simple to the sublime!

This year the big controversy seemed to be a backlash from the term "Christmas" to "Holiday". Many Christians viewing this as another attempt to take the Christ out of Christmas. One argument went, "As a Christian, I am just as offended when you call a "Christmas" Tree a "Holiday" Tree, as a Jewish person would be if you called a "Mennorah" a "Candlestick".

A good point which made many retailers back off!

I must confess, however, I too have been guilty of sending out "Happy Holiday" cards long before this happened. But in my defense it was only because with the Church Banquets, Christmas Programs, decorating, shopping, parties, wrapping, board meetings, family gatherings, etc. I wasn't sure if my cards would get there for Christmas, New Years, or Valentines Day. But from now on I'll just let them assume "Happy Christmas" cards arriving in February are early for the next Christmas!

When I arrived home to Seattle (where I have only visited 3 weeks in the past three months - going to Idaho straight from an Eastern Europe tour) my autumn decorations were still up - paper mache' pumpkins and leaves! But then if you ever visit me you will notice representations from every holiday are tucked around if you know where to look (i.e. the leprechaun hiding in the silk fern for St. Pats Day).

What's up?

Get the heat back on in my condo (brrrrrrrrr) along with the hot water!
I hope to get a January newsletter published.
Write 5 sessions for Australian children's ministry conferences.
Collect new object lessons for Oz Kid's programs.
Catch up to some friends in the Seattle area before I fly out towards the end of this month.

Should keep me busy.
Hope your "Christmas" was merry and bright.
Thanks for visiting my first blog and to all a good night....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Encounter Jesus in the Noise